Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How was your day of prayer (and fasting)?

5yr, “I prayed a LOT!”

8yr, “I thought about God whenever I thought about the computer.”

11yr, “Honestly, I didn’t think about God very much. I just was frustrated that I couldn’t check my email.”

So, we discovered that fasting isn’t a magical key to closeness with God. We discovered that you have to be intentional about praying while you are fasting.

We read Isaiah 58:4-6
4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
   and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
   and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
   only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed
   and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
   a day acceptable to the LORD?
 6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
   and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
   and break every yoke?

We talked about what the verses mean to us, then we made a plan.

Today we are not giving up something. Today we are doing something for someone. We are going to bake some cookies for our shut-in neighbor. Though it is only a small thing, we wanted to remember that our lives should pour out God’s mercy to those around us.

In some ways, it will be a sacrifice. The kids will have less play time. I will have less time to get things done. It will be a good reminder to us that Jesus gave himself to show us mercy.

No comments: